Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Great Book for Children

As a foster mommy, all signs of singledom have been pushed aside (shoved in corners, wadded up in closets - you get the idea) and replaced by the wondrous gifts of childhood. You know, stinky little socks crammed in corners, stacks of Walmart bags filled with "wet" clothes, an unknown substance with a ripe odor sticking to the chair cushion, and of course, the equivalent of the entire stock of a Toys 'R Us store crammed into my 880 square foot house.


Single no more, I have embraced the joys of motherhood (okay, some of them) and I have even come across a few genuine treasures in this storage unit that was once my house.

One particular gem that comes to mind is a book I received from my friend, Blondie Mommy. Blondie Mommy is the greatest single mom I know. She is also gifted in the art of bargain hunting. I have no shame, so when I opened up the Christmas present she brought over and saw a book, I asked her where she got it. Naturally, she did not spend huge amounts of her hard earned cash at Barnes and Noble like I would; she got it at a thrift shop.

Well, I am here to tell you that Blondie Mommy knows how to shop.

Go Blondie Mommy!

The book she got me is called, The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury: Celebrated Picture Books and Stories to Read Aloud selected by Janet Schulman.

This book is awesome!

Let me say that again.

This book is awesome!

All of the stories you think of when you think of great childhood books are right here in this one volume! There are classic stories, contemporary stories, picture books and long read alouds. It is a great book for the whole family. Inside, you will find actual reproductions of the original stories and illustrations.

The great thing about this book is you can use it over and over again. S-man just loves it. We read a few stories each night. Some of his favorite stories are: Chicka Chicka Boom Boom, Goodnight Moon, Curious George, and The Snowy Day. It also includes: Guess How Much I Love You, Where the Wild Things Are, Freight Train, Amelia Bedilia, The Sneetches and many other stories you would probably recognize.


So, in my cramped little home, I welcome this book. It is something that S-man and I can enjoy together. And when I finally clean out this storage unit, this book stays. It is a true treasure of childhood that I will continue to enjoy for years to come.

Bea

No comments: