Monday, January 28, 2008

Diary of a Bibliophile - Day 1

What I am reading: Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult
Coffee Consumption: 3 cups (pretty good)


Any Jodi Picoult fans out there? Right now, she is still my favorite author. The first book I read by her was My Sister's Keeper. I have read some other good books recently, but Jodi Picoult is the only author I have found who satisfies me with each book she writes. Her quality is consistent.

At the moment, I am reading Picture Perfect. It is a good story, though admittedly not my favorite. It is about a young woman who loses her memory and slowly begins to reclaim a past she soon realizes might have been better forgotten. The plot has kept me interested, but I am just not into in the movie star thing (one of the main characters is a celebrity.)

I think this book has disappointed me only because her other books have cut deeply into some very controversial and thought provoking social issues. I love how she can weave a story from so many different perspectives. My Sister's Keeper is a prime example of this.

Jodi Picoult is the only author I know who has left me questioning my own values. She researches her topics carefully, and her characters come to life on the page. You can feel their pain as they struggle with dilemmas of a magnitude most of us will hopefully never have to face. Picoult forces her readers to look at an issue from so many different angles, that it can only leave one confused and troubled. Having said that, confused and troubled is not always a bad thing. Sometimes we need someone to push us to our limits and force us to rethink what we have so firmly believed for so long. Jodi Picoult has the power to open a mind. To me, that is a good thing!

If you are new to Jodi Picoult, I would recommend My Sister's Keeper. I guarantee you will be hooked after reading that!

I have also read: Mercy, The Pact, Plain Truth, Salem Falls, The Tenth Circle, and Nineteen Minutes. As I have said, I love Jodi Picoult, so I would highly recommend any of these.

If you are an educator, you might enjoy Nineteen Minutes. In this book, Picoult takes a look inside the life and the mind of a school shooter.

And, if you are in a book group of some sort, some of the books come with a P.S. section in the back which has some thought provoking discussion questions. Even though I am not in a book group, I enjoyed reading the questions when I was done with the book. They gave me a lot to think about.

I would love to hear about your favorite Jodi Picoult book.

Love you Jodi!!!

Bea

No comments: