Sunday, February 10, 2008

Sunday Serenity

S-man is home from his mother's and already asleep. I have some fried chicken in the oven and I am settling into my Sunday night relaxation mode. I try to enjoy Sunday evenings because this is the last time I get to relax until next weekend.

Let me describe the serenity. Spaz is curled up under the desk light next to the computer absorbing the heat, and HappyD is lying on the floor by my feet vigorously ripping apart and gnawing at what is left of her rawhide bone. I can smell the Shake and Bake chicken cooking in the oven, and I can hear the last load of laundry flopping around inside the dryer, the buttons clinking with each turn like a hailstorm outside the window on a frosty winter's night. It's the simple things that make me feel at peace.

S-man came home in a good mood tonight, and that always makes me feel good too. I put some new books (new books meaning simply different books from his shelf) down on the floor for him to choose from. I have to admit this is not a very objective process because, of course, I pick my favorites off the shelf. He chose The Very Hungry Caterpillar. I love this book.

The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle, is a short simple book about metamorphosis, and kids love it. The illustrations are bright and have a "painted" quality to them. S-man loves to count all of the fruits that the caterpillar eats through. We also talk about all the different colors and how they blend together. I know many of you are probably already familiar with this book, but if you're not, check it out. It is quick and fun to read with your toddler or preschooler.

I hope you are enjoying this wonderful Sunday evening.

BEA (retiring back into relaxation mode)

Fried chicken - yummy, yummy! (to the tune of The Wiggles, "fruit salad, yummy, yummy...")

No comments: