Sunday, February 3, 2008

Books and Growing Up

Tonight S-man and I read his Elmo "look and find" book for toddlers.

Here is how the book works: the child looks at about six pictures in a box on the left and has to find them in the scene on the right. Since the book is for toddlers, the pictures are bright and colorful portrayals of everyday objects. In this particular book, each page has a color theme. For example, all of the objects that you have to find in the first scene are red; there is a fire hydrant, mittens, an apple, a pair of books, paw prints, and a balloon.

Tonight I realized that my Superman (S-man) is growing up. When we read the book together, he confidently pointed to each object and immediately found its match on the opposite page. He did it in a bored, sing-songy way too. When I asked him what color the pictures were on each page, he looked at me like "Duh," before rattling off the correct answer. I was amazed at this sudden transition from confused toddler to blooming preschooler.

"When did this happen?" I thought.

It wasn't long ago that I was so worried he would be "behind" because he kept mixing up blue and green. And the picture search took an eternity; I remember having to remind myself to give him time. Don't rush him. Let him find it. He will get it. No, you don't need to give him hints. Yes, at some point this bedtime routine will end. The book will close. He will go to sleep. No, it will not really take him until tomorrow, it just seems that way right now.

Now that has all changed. He knows his colors. It's easy to find the pictures. It's time to put away the toddler "look and find" and break out the I Spy.

Thank you Elmo, for reminding me that time goes fast and I need to enjoy each moment I share with my little S-man. After all, he won't be little much longer.

Bea

No comments: